Today my twin brother and I turn 27 (what?!). I tell more people than are probably interested because I'm external processor, that in my head I'm 20 and barely have an idea of how to fend for myself. But in reality I'm three years from 30, have two kids, and am a real, live adult. Yup, even writing that feels STRANGE - I'm still 19 people. Actually I like my life a lot more now than when I was 19.
Anywho, I thought I'd share some fun, some meaningful, and some helpful things that I've learned, eaten (aka devoured), and loved at 26, and what I'm looking forward to about year 27.
And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! (insert party hat confetti emoji a million times) to the best twin brother, womb-mate, and friend around. I'm honored to share this day with you Tay Tay!
(The bolded words are links that you can check out, just so you know!)
1. I don't bake and I don't do fussy recipes - and these homemade "Lara Bars" are NOT fussy and you DON'T have to bake. Plus they are amazingly easy, DELICIOUS, and they have no sugar, grain, or processed anything. Might be the best thing I discovered all year.
2. It really goes without saying that the best day of the year was when my sweet Rainier was born. Oh gosh, so many tears of joy, I love this boy so MUCH!
3. Consequently...Spanx er'ryday. I have discovered the joys of Spanx, and how I can wear so much of my closet without feeling quite so...floppy...if you will. Not worried about having the perfect bod, but it's nice to feel confident and well, not floppy.
4. This year was the beginning of Nicholas serenading us. I hope this never stops, and it looks like it won't anytime soon. He LOVES TO SING.
5. Hey remember that time I was suuuuuuuuuper pregnant?
6. I learned this year that just because something is hard doesn't mean it's outside of God's will. Sometimes our obedient "yes" to Jesus means we are going to face things that rip our safety nets off like a band aid, and require more faith and trust (and tears) than we had planned on. And all the while, He cheers us on, lovingly guiding us towards Himself, and saying, "I am WITH YOU."
7. I am so glad that I found the Honest Company this year. I've been so impressed with their products and can't recommend them enough!
8. Soundtrack of my year.
9. 26 was the year I finally got pedal extenders on my car. Life changing, for real. Also, funny.
10. One of my "top five" moments with Nicholas! Baking cookies, complete with us wearing aprons and him eating most of the toppings before they made it onto the cookies.
11. This was definitely the year of the headbands. I have a slight problem. Oh Sweet Joy and Wuthering Iris is where it's at.
12. I've come to realize that the Lord's presence in my life has nothing to do with me noticing Him or "feeling" Him. He is just present. Always.
13. The Lord challenged me to receive the gift of my children. Still a challenge I want to take up daily.
14. I said I didn't bake...and I semi-lied because I am obsessed with these muffins - but it's becuase they are so easy that even I can't screw them up. Paleo Banana Coconut Muffins.
15. Another reason to love my 26th year is because Nicholas started asking for "Taylor Fwift." All the time, more T Fwift. Yes my son, I will give in to that request.
16. The Lord challenged me to be strong and courageous - and the only way I could do that, is because HE IS WITH ME.
17. Nothing like this giggle. Nothing.
18. The Lord is loosening my grip on rules, and I'm so enjoying the Holy Spirit's freedom.
19. Best mom advice I've taken this year (from Haley) - when your new baby is pretty little, go out and do something that scares you a little - and then you'll see that you CAN do this mom thing! For me, it was going to Target with both boys alone ;) and I learned that I can be a mom of two!
20. God is present in the waiting. There is purpose in the waiting.
21. Our dream of planting a church in Seattle came true!
22. Every mom has areas to grow in. Every mom fails and has to ask for forgiveness in one area or another. Not that I want other women to fail :) but I'm learning to stop thinking that one day I'll arrive at mothering perfection, and lean more into grace.
23. I am so darn grateful to be a part of this ministry. If you are a mom, we want to encourage you!
24. This year the Lord birthed a vision for a project that has me so excited, and I hope that in year 27 I will be able to see it's fruition. In His timing and grace! :)
25. There is truly nothing like the relationship between siblings, and this year it was one of God's greatest gifts of my life to watch Nicholas and Rainier's sweet brother relationship begin.
26. I have the most hard working, faithful, servant of a husband. He is such a gift to me and shows me Jesus all the time. He's the best. And hot.
27 - As I look ahead to this year ahead, I want to take off RUNNING with this truth from John 1:
From His fullness we have all received grace upon grace.
My "not enough" is truly okay. Jesus loves me, not some future version of me as my pastor says. I don't have perfect to offer, but I do have broken to offer. I have a much deeper knowledge that I stinking' need Jesus, and also that His love never fails. So I want to live in His love, His grace, and His joy. Not because I'm enough, but because I'm His and He spurs me on.