Last week I shared a little video blog with you, revealing my love for air quotes and avocado. I also chatted about (more like drooled over) a delicious "ice cream" recipe that only has 12 grams* of sugar. So today I'm making good on my promise to share the recipe with you!
This is super easy to make, is incredibly tasty, and contains no fake sugar. I hope you love it! I'm about to go enjoy my own batch. Don't miss a few tips at the end of the post!
Makes 2 servings
- 1 to 2 bananas, peeled, sliced into coins, and frozen
- 3 TBSP peanut butter
- 1 TBSP honey
- 1 TBSP chocolate chips (I used mini chips. If you use dairy-free chocolate chips, this recipe would be totally dairy free!)
*I use peanut butter that has no sugar, 1 TBSP of honey has 16 grams of sugar, and the chocolate chips I use only have 8 grams of sugar per TBSP. So when you get two servings out of this recipe, each serving only has 12 grams of sugar. The amount of sugar could change if you modified the recipe.
1. Blend bananas in a food processor until smooth.
(I ended up adding a teeny bit of water at the end of processing, in order to smooth the bananas. Don't add more than 1/2 tsp of water.)
2. Add the peanut butter and honey, and process until completely mixed in.
3. Add chocolate chips (either by pulsing food processor a few times, or mixing in by hand).
4. Place mixture into a freezer safe container and freeze until solid.
Optional 5th step - once frozen, food process the "ice cream" mixture one more time, and then freeze again. The "ice cream" tastes great without this extra step, but it gives it a bit more of a a real ice cream like consistency.
The first time I made this, I only let it freeze for about 2 hours before eating it. It thawed too quickly and reminded me of mushy bananas - so I recommend letting it freeze overnight (or at least 8 hours) before enjoying.
This recipe would also be really easy to double!
Finally, you could use the frozen bananas as a base for lots of different types of "ice cream!" I've seen people add strawberries, coconut, and many other fun flavors. The best part about this is you can make it your own, and make it taste great!